By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas had not one but two teams competing in the State Championship this weekend with the swim and golf teams.
The Eagles’ top result came from the girls 200-yard medley relay team, who placed 14 with Allyson Lake, Sophia El Chantiry, Valeria Anzures, and Carly Chin at 1:53.75. Lake, El Chantiry, Chin, and Daniella Balkcom swam in the gurls 400 freestyle in 17th place. Individually, Lake finished 21st in the 100-yard backstroke, while Balkcom came in 22nd in the 200-yard freestyle and 24th in the 500-yard freestyle.
The boys top result came from the 200-yard freestyle relay with Lorenzo Herek, Alexander Nichols, Maxim Georgiev, and Joshua Guo, placing 19th. Lorenzo Herek swam in the 50-yard freestyle and finished in 24th.
The girls had five golfers compete in the State Championship with Sutton Oosterhuis, Ella Thompson, Ella Mamane, Cassidy Charles, and Sophia Alcala-Marks. They previously finished second in Districts and fourth in Regionals.
“Day 1 was a struggle for the girls today,” Head Coach Jonathan Smith said. “Course was really tight, and we didn’t have our best game for the last nine holes. What’s exciting is I will have the majority of the current team together for another three years. The girls know this is a process and that there will be growing pains.”
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win