By: Matt Rothman
The golf season in Parkland continued this week with the Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls golf team advancing to the State Championship.
The Eagles shined on Monday, with Ella Mamane placing 16th with an 82. Sutton Oosterhuis shot an 84, while Sophia Alcala Marks and Ella Thompson broke 90. Cassidy Charles also competed and helped MSD earn the 14th seed.
Head Coach Jonathan Smith said it felt great to make the State Tournament in his first year as coach.
“They played very consistently throughout the year and were rewarded with an at-large bid and 14 seed in the tournament,” Smith said. “ It’s going to be a great learning experience for us and a great way to finish the year.”
The boys team finished seventh in Regionals, with Jayden Thurasingham shooting a 74. Ryan Shimony finished with a 75, and Josh Lieberman recorded a 77. Evan Mazanec also played to help MSD finish with a team score of 316.
“These guys play the toughest sport out there, and they’ve supported each other as a team throughout the great swings and the not-so-great swings,” Head Coach Darren Levine said. “We’re looking forward to more great swings ahead and wish our seniors the best as they move closer to graduation.”
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win