By Jill Fox
Calling all baseball players. The Parkland Pokers, the city’s travel baseball league is holding tryouts this weekend. Because of an increased interest from young and experienced players, the group is considering the possibility of adding a second team for athletes ages 9 and under.
“We’re doing these tryouts a little early and we’ll see what the response is and if there’s enough interest and talent level to support another team,” said Greg Raley, Parkland Pokers Vice President, who coaches the nationally ranked 10U team.
As far as what he looks for in a player, great attitude and effort are at the top of the list. Raley said that on a travel team, you’re trying to put together not only the kids with a strong desire to learn and compete at a higher level, but the ones who are willing to put in the time and commitment that it takes to play travel baseball.
The travel league is not for first-time players. Coaches recommended that participants have some former baseball experience. League play is basically in the tri-county area, but every team is different, and some travel more than others.
Raley said travel baseball is historically more advanced than a recreational league, the competition you’ll face is much stronger.
“In this league, you will encounter some of the best organizations in the country.”
Tryouts for the potential will be held on Saturday, May 18, at 4 p.m. and Sunday, May 19 at 4 p.m. at Pine Trails Park, 10555 Trails End. Children cannot turn 10-years-old before May 1, 2020.
Call Renard Sugrim 954-553-2344 or Jason Kornblau 786-239-3104 for more information.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- News2020.02.21Register for 2020 Parkland Rangers Football and Cheer Program
- News2020.02.20Register for the Huge Community-Wide Yard Sale at Parkland Library
- Events2020.02.19Baseball League for Children with Special Needs Holds Opening Day in Parkland
- News2020.02.19Calling All Student Filmmakers: Help Educate the Community in Movie-Making Contest