By Jill Fox
At Wednesday’s Parkland City Commission meeting, members of the dais voted unanimously to establish a qualifying period for the November 3, special municipal election for two seats.
Commissioner Stacy Kagan and Commissioner Rich Walker both announced they were running for Parkland mayor after Mayor Christine Hunschofsky decided to run for House Seat 96 after her friend, State Representative Kristin Jacobs succumbed to a three year battle with cancer. This left her seat open, and now leaves two open seats on the commission in November.
Because they resigned early, a special election is deemed necessary, with a separate qualifying period than that of those seats up for re-election.
Commissioner Ken Cutler commended Kagan and Walker for resigning early to allow the city time to fill their seats on the commission.
To save taxpayer dollars, the special election will occur in conjunction with the already scheduled election taking place on November 3.
Commission Seat Qualifying Period
Residents interested in running for Districts 1 and 2 must file and complete the qualifying process between noon on Monday, July 6, 2020, through noon on Friday, July 10, 2020. This includes filling out paperwork and paying city and state fees.
Candidates must also be eligible voters who have resided in Parkland for the last one year.
City Commissioners earn an annual salary of $32,735 plus healthcare $8,333, car allowance $3,600, and phone allowance $600 for a package of $45,268.
Mayor Qualifying Period
For mayor, qualifying begins on Monday, June 22, 2020, at noon and ends on Friday, June 26, 2020, at noon for those interested in running.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.01.14Parkland Resident Donates $20,000 To Chabad Playground Honoring Alyssa Alhadeff
- News2021.01.12Student-Led Organization ‘People of Change’ Promotes Racial Equality
- News2021.01.12Congregation Kol Tikvah Holds Virtual Comedy Night with Amazing Vacation Auctions Jan 30
- News2021.01.11State Rep Christine Hunschofsky Launches High School Internship Program