By Jill Fox
As Parkland residents look for ways to commemorate the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy, two neighborhoods are doing so by supporting the JROTC in memory of victim Peter Wang.
The Wang family, who live in the Parkland community of MiraLago, lost their son, Peter, on Feb. 14, 2018. He died while holding a door open to save others. A member of the JROTC, Peter planned on attending United States Military Academy West Point.
“My first goal of $500 was exceeded in one day, and this amazing community and its friends and family raised $5,700 to fund scholarships,” said Robin Frydman Schall, Booster Club President, whose son, Jacob Goldberg, is the Battalion Executive Officer at MSD.
In 2021, several neighborhoods participated in “Light Up The Night,” in memory of the 17 victims, by placing luminary bags at the end of their driveways on the evening of Feb. 14. This year, both MiraLago and its sister development of Cascata, residents are using the luminaries to fundraise in Peter Wang’s memory for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas JROTC.
Each year, three cadets receive $1,000 scholarships in the names of the three JROTC Cadets killed: Peter Wang, Martin Duque, and Alaina Petty. The awards are given to those who best represented the spirits lost on Feb. 14, 2018.
In 2021, the booster club funded two additional scholarships with the money raised. Shall said they were able to help with a scholarship for the Battalion Commander and the Cadet of the Year.
Participants should place their luminaries at the end of their driveways on Feb. 14 at 8 p.m. and stand in silence for six minutes and 20 seconds to remember the 17 fallen Eagles.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2022.05.17Find a “Fur”ever Friend At Parkland’s 1st Dog Expo
- News2022.05.09Make Our Schools Safe Raises $125,000 At Annual Benefit
- News2022.05.07Parents Invited To Vaping Prevention Town Hall On May 12
- News2022.05.064 Awarded Friendship Journey Scholarships In Memory of Jaime Guttenberg And Gina Montalto