By: Matt Rothman
On senior night the Eagles soccer team defeated Coral Springs High School 3-0 behind seniors Daniel Robotella and Alex Dugue.
Robotella scored two goals, and Dugue stopped everything in net for the shutout. Andrew Oliveira, Zach Devito, Mason Hall, Joao Dos Santos, and Jimmy Bolger all played well and were honored before the game with their families for senior night. Alek Serna and Brain Keane were also recognized but did not play.
While Head Coach Christian Chacon has only been coaching for one season, he said he has enjoyed coaching his nine seniors.
“I believe they put everything into senior night, and I feel like if they continue to do that throughout the year, they are going to go far,” he said.
Early on, Coral Springs controlled most of the play, but it was the Eagles who capitalized first after the Colts were called for a foul right outside the box. On a set play, Robotella connected after his shot was deflected to give MSD a 1-0 lead midway through the first half.
In the second half, he was able to chase down a long ball and beat the keeper far side for his second of the game.
Robotella came into the week with only two goals, but scored twice on Monday against Pompano Beach High School in their 5-1 win and then two more Wednesday night against Coral Springs.
The final goal of the game came from Gabriel Gersberg, who scored from just outside the box to make it 3-0. Despite some high-quality scoring chances late, MSD was unable to add to the lead and settled for the 3-0 win.
The Eagles will have some time off before they host West Broward High School on Tuesday, January 21, in Parkland.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Matt worked as the assistant sports editor for his school paper, eaglenews.com in college becoming just one of nine students in his graduating class to serve over 1,000 community service hours. His goal is to travel to every Major League Baseball stadium and has been to multiple US Open finals. He hopes to one day to be a beat writer for a professional team.
- News2020.01.15Robotella Scores 2 Goals to Lead Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer
- News2020.01.15Ruiz Leads Marjory Stoneman Douglas Basketball on Senior Night
- News2020.01.11Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Defeat Coral Glades
- News2020.01.10Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Basketball Teams Aim to Finish Season Strong