By Sharon Aron Baron
School safety advocacy group, Stand with Parkland, has endorsed Parkland Mayor Christine Hunschofsky for State House District 96.
The group, founded by all 17 families who lost loved ones in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, stated they had seen Hunschofsky’s leadership in action both locally and in Tallahassee.
In a statement from the organization, they said Hunschofsky is a force to be reckoned with.
“She understands the power of listening to others and the need to build personal relationships to help gain cooperation in order to achieve success.”
A resident of Parkland for 20 years, Hunschofsky first served on several city committees before running for city commission in 2013. In 2016, she ran for mayor and, since then, took on some of the cities biggest challenges.
Hunschofsky was at the helm during one of the worst school shooting massacres in the country after 17 students and staff members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas were murdered by a gunman. This would forever change the city.
In the aftermath, she comforted families, attended funerals, and testified in favor of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act.
This bill included provisions to secure the school campus, increased funding for mental health, and changes to the state’s firearms laws, such as the “red flag” law.
Stand with Parkland stated that all citizens of District 96 would be lucky to have her representing them in the Florida State House.
The 96th District includes Parkland, Coconut Creek, and parts of Margate and Coral Springs. The Democratic primary will be held August 18, and the general election on November 3.
Send your news to Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- Events2020.09.25Celebrating 50 Years of Fire Service with Drive-in Movie Event
- Events2020.09.23Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste October 3
- News2020.09.21Parkland Mayor Hunschofsky Elected to Florida State House after Challenger Drops Out
- News2020.09.20Parkland Talk Interviews Stacy Kagan and Rich Walker: Candidates for Parkland Mayor