By Kevin Deutsch
The Broward County School Board on Tuesday approved a $250 inventive bonus for district school employees who get vaccinated against COVID-19.
District officials said any public school employee who is already fully vaccinated or meets the requirement by Oct. 20, 2021, will be offered the bonus.
Employees will need to show proof they received both doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
Approval of the bonus marked the board’s latest move to protect students and staff from a record-breaking surge of COVID-19 infections, driven by the Delta variant. Broward has spent weeks at or near the top of the list of U.S. counties with the most COVID-19 hospital admissions.
On. Aug. 10, the school board approved continuing its student mask mandate, defying Gov. Ron DeSantis and the state Board of Education.
In an effort to continue to decrease the spread of COVID-19, the School Board voted to approve a $250 incentive for fully vaccinated permanent BCPS employees. Proof of vaccination must be submitted by Oct. 20, 2021. See the following video from School Board Chair Rosalind Osgood. pic.twitter.com/K95DDXoE1j
— Broward Schools (@browardschools) August 17, 2021
In response, state officials weigh punitive measures that include stripping district officials of their salaries and removing elected school board members from office.
Florida reported a confirmed 21,669 new COVID-19 infections on Tuesday, breaking the pandemic record for the statewide 7-day average, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
As of Tuesday morning, just five pediatric ICU beds remained available in Broward.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 29, 2024Two Candidates Announce Runs for Parkland City Commission Seat 4
- Crime & SafetyFebruary 28, 2024BSO Gives All Clear After Bomb Threat Causes Evacuation of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- NewsFebruary 23, 2024House Democrats Choose Rep. Christine Hunschofsky as Next Leader
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Teen Arrested In Parkland Beating as Detectives Seek Accomplices