By Jill Fox
In a coffee-house style reminiscent of any episode of Friends, Carmela, as it’s known to locals, is taking on a series of evening events to “perk up” the restaurant’s twilight attendance.
After a couple of successful comedy nights, co-owners and residents Rainier Abreu and Rafael Baretta, have decided to continue offering live entertainment for their local evening audiences.
Open Mic Night
Next up is open mic night by SHINE MSD, an organization that supports healing the Parkland community through the arts on February 22 at 7:00 p.m..
“They had a blast the first time they were here with their friends and their parents,” said Abreu.
He said that open mic night is about giving the students the space to release stress and express themselves through music or any kind of skill they have, from guitar playing to stand-up comedy.
Students can register to sing, play music, read poetry and more here: Open Mic Night.
On February 28, Carmela will host the Glen Friedman Jazz Quartet from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.. The event will feature band leader and Parkland resident, Friedman on trumpet and piano, as well as three of South Florida’s best musicians on sax, bass and drums.
Abreu recognizes the opportunity to bring the community together and says there aren’t a lot of options around Parkland for a relaxing night out.
“This is what we want to offer, nothing fancy, just to go out and listen to music, and have a glass of wine or a beer,” he said.
With one event geared towards students, and another focusing on contemporary adults, this gives resident coffee drinkers a chance to check out Carmela’s vibe at night.
Carmela Coffee Company is located at 7967 N. University Drive.
Both events are free and open to the public.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.01.14Parkland Resident Donates $20,000 To Chabad Playground Honoring Alyssa Alhadeff
- News2021.01.12Student-Led Organization ‘People of Change’ Promotes Racial Equality
- News2021.01.12Congregation Kol Tikvah Holds Virtual Comedy Night with Amazing Vacation Auctions Jan 30
- News2021.01.11State Rep Christine Hunschofsky Launches High School Internship Program