By Jill Fox
After just four weeks of operating, the popular summer camp Eagles Landing is shutting its doors earlier than expected.
In a letter to parents and staff on Saturday, Founder/Director Matthew Cannold said, “With three weeks of camp to go, the camp decided to close for the remainder of the summer.”
According to BocaNewsNow.com, Cannold tested positive for COVID-19 last week, which was communicated to parents in a prior letter. This time, Cannold explained that an aquatics director had tested positive. The letter emphasized how the staff member had not seen campers in a few days and was a strict follower of their protocols, including wearing a mask.
However, after weighing various options, ELC determined that closing was the right thing to do.
Cannold said opening for the summer of 2020 was a choice made by their team at ELC with their campers and families placed at the center of that decision-making process. Nothing was mentioned about refunds for parents.
“We have always felt that if we could provide a safe and secure environment for our campers, then we were comfortable keeping our camp operational,” he said.
Eagles Landing Summer Camp is made up of a junior camp, day camp, and Monday through Friday sleep-away camp. In business for 23 years, ELC operates on the campus of North Broward Preparatory School every summer.
Cannold said this was one of the hardest decisions to make.
“There will be summer 2021, our twenty-fourth, and we hope to make it one for the ages.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.08.04City Selects Lt. Craig Calavetta As New BSO Parkland District Chief
- News2021.08.04Parkland Residents Host First Local Wine And Food Festival
- News2021.08.04Parkland Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings
- News2021.08.03Parkland Principals, Interim Superintendent Address Parents on August 9