By: Sharon Aron Baron
Three local Broward County Public School students will be graduating with something not many can achieve: Perfect attendance.
This week, they were rewarded by the school district for never missing a single day of school since they began in kindergarten.
In Parkland, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Carmen Lo was recognized by Principal Ty Thompson and School Board member Abby Freedman.
In Coral Springs, students Arun Jairam and Alaina Gelman from JP Taravella High School were recognized by their Principal Dr. Nault and School Board Member Abby Freedman. Jairam will be attending the University of Florida this fall to study engineering and Gelman will be attending the University of Central Florida to study elementary education.
“It is an honor to be able to work with our schools and recognize these students for the best attendance in one of the largest School Districts in the country,” said Phillip Shaver Coordinator, District Attendance.
Stanley C. Panther from the NHL Florida Panthers joined Phillip Shaver from BCPS Student Services at the surprise events at the schools.
This year, Broward County Public Schools is celebrating 350 students with perfect attendance at their grade levels: elementary K-5, middle 6-8, and high school 9-12. There are a total of six seniors who have not missed a day of school since kindergarten.
On May 10, the students will be recognized at the event “Evening Among the Stars,” where parents will receive a certificate acknowledging their role in their child’s education and regular attendance. All students who were invited to the perfect attendance event will walk across the stage and meet district leaders as they receive specialized “swag bags” as they prepare to move on to their next stage of education.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.07.19Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment Holds Car Wash Fundraiser
- News2021.07.13North Springs Improvement District Drinking Water Undergoing Routine Chlorination July 15
- News2021.07.12Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31
- News2021.07.03Hazardous Waste Drop-off Held in Parkland on July 10