By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas softball team started the season out 1-2 but outscored their opposition 29-0 over the past two games to move to 3-2.
On Tuesday night, the Eagles defeated Deerfield Beach High School 13-0 after four innings. Senior Jordan Ratner hit a home run and drove in three runs in the win.
Jill Anderozzi, Abby Dowd, and Olivia Alvarez all drove in two runs. Sierra Damani scores three runs as well as knocking in a run along with Amanda Gomez. On the mound, the Eagles got great pitching from Sam Diaz and Julie Van Arsdale as they each threw shutouts and allowed three total hits in the two games.
On Wednesday against Santalucea High School, MSD scores six runs in both the first and second inning to take a 12-0 lead.
Junior Katie Pecaul hit her first home run of the season, and Van Arsdale led the team with five runs batted in. All but three players recorded RBI’s in the team’s most significant win margin of victory since 2018 when they beat J.P. Taravella 18-0.
“We are taking better quality at-bats and seeing the ball better,” said Head Coach Brian Staubly. “We had strong pitching from Diaz and Van Arsdale.”
Up next, the Eagles will have a rivalry game against Coral Springs High School in Parkland on March 9, at 4 p.m. The Colts are coming off their first win of the season Wednesday night against Stranahan High School but lost 15-0 last year against MSD.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor's degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.03.22Frais Becomes First Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestler to Place at States since 2011
- Schools2020.03.11Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s and Girl’s Tennis Making a Positive Impact for the Community
- News2020.03.11Lujo Hits Walk-Off in Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Baseball Victory
- News2020.03.11Figas Continues to Shine Helping Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girl’s Lacrosse to 7-0 Start