By Jill Fox
A pair of Parkland brothers are raising money by hosting a community workout to benefit local first responders.
“Feed the Frontlines” was organized by Marjory Stoneman Douglas freshman, Myles Samuels, 15, and his brother, Hudson, 12, who attends Westglades Middle School.
The two take classes at CrossFit Immersion and are inviting the community to participate in a virtual workout from the comfort of their own homes on Friday, May 1, at 10 a.m.
“We’ve raised over $500 so far, and we’re really excited about that,” said Myles.
The project started when the boys’ mother, Hillary, asked her sons to come up with an idea to pay it forward.
“We may be stuck at home, but we don’t have much to complain about, so I wanted them to do something for others,” she said.
Her sons play a lot of basketball, but they didn’t think that would work well since not everyone has a hoop at home.
“During Coronavirus, we continued working out, and we even turned our garage into a gym,” she said, “So that’s where the CrossFit idea came from.”
They asked their Crossfit coaches if they would make up a workout and donate their time to help raise money to feed local firefighters. The goal was to raise enough money to provide 150 meals– one to each firefighter during their shift in the eight stations between Parkland and Coral Springs.
Those interested in participating in the Crossfit workout can donate $10 on Venmo to @Myles-Samuels34, leave an email address, and they will receive their zoom instructions.
For more information, email WOD4FL@gmail.com.
Send your news to Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.01.14Parkland Resident Donates $20,000 To Chabad Playground Honoring Alyssa Alhadeff
- News2021.01.12Student-Led Organization ‘People of Change’ Promotes Racial Equality
- News2021.01.12Congregation Kol Tikvah Holds Virtual Comedy Night with Amazing Vacation Auctions Jan 30
- News2021.01.11State Rep Christine Hunschofsky Launches High School Internship Program