By Jill Fox
While candidates continue to announce their runs for the special municipal election coming up on November 3, the qualifying period for the two open seats is upon us.
When Commissioner Stacy Kagan and Commissioner Rich Walker both decided to run for mayor and resigned early, a special election was deemed necessary with a separate qualifying period than that of other seats up for re-election.
Mayor Christine Hunschofsky previously decided to run for House Seat 96 after State Representative Kristin Jacobs succumbed to a three year battle with cancer. This left her seat open, and with Kagan and Walker vying for the seat, leaves two open seats on the commission.
Residents interested in running for either District 1 or 2 must file and complete the qualifying process between noon on Monday, July 6, 2020, and noon on Friday, July 10, 2020. This includes filling out paperwork stating they are eligible voters who have resided in Parkland for at least one year, as well as paying city fees of $1,636.75 and state fees of $327.35.
City Commissioners earn an annual salary of $32,735 plus healthcare $8,333, car allowance $3,600, and phone allowance $600 for a package of $45,268.
Candidate qualifying will take place, by appointment only, at Parkland City Hall, located at 6600 University Drive. For further details about qualifying as a candidate, call City Clerk, Alyson Morales, at 954-757-4132.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 11 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.03.04Carmela Coffee Holds Beginners Mah Jongg Night on March 16
- News2021.03.03Parkland Preteen Collects LEGO Sets For Hospitalized Children
- News2021.03.02Feeling Lucky? Register For Pap Corps Bingo on March 17
- News2021.03.02MEDNAX Awards Four $20,000 Scholarships to Marjory Stoneman Douglas Seniors