By Kevin Deutsch
A man armed with a gun was taken into custody following an hours-long standoff Wednesday morning with police in Coconut Creek, authorities said.
Police received a call about a domestic dispute at the apartment in the Carrington at Coconut Creek Condominium, 484 N. State Rd 7, at 2:33 a.m., according to the Coconut Creek Police Department.
The armed man, whose name was not made public, threatened family members with a gun, police said.
The family members left the apartment, but the armed man remained inside, refusing to come out when police arrived, according to the department.
“We are talking to him, trying to convince him to come out,” police wrote on their department Facebook page Wednesday morning. “No shots have been fired at this time. There is no one in the apartment with him. We evacuated a few apartments around the one he is in as a precaution.”
At 8:50 p.m., Coconut Creek Police said the Coral Springs Police Department’s SWAT team arrived at the scene to help.
“They have some tools we can use to continue working toward our goal of resolving this situation peacefully,” police wrote.
At 10:45 a.m., police said the man was in custody.
“He is on his way for an evaluation at a nearby hospital,” police wrote. “Any evacuated residents are free to go back into their apartments.”
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.12.26Parkland Crime Update: Fraud and Criminal Mischief
- News2022.12.17Parkland Crime Update: Child Injured After Pulling Down Soccer Goal Post
- News2022.12.10Parkland Crime Update: Child Trapped in Closet and Pokemon Card Dispute
- News2022.12.05Parkland Crime Update: Victim Blackmailed Over His Nude Photos