By Jill Fox
A well-known Westglades Middle School staff member is among the thousands who evacuated their homes due to Tropical Storm Eta.
This was the second flood in less than a month for LaTanya Williams, a behavioral technician lovingly known by the community as “Miss LaTanya.”
On November 8, water from the flooded streets of her Fort Lauderdale neighborhood seeped inside her family’s home she shares with her husband, Kevin, a security specialist with Broward County Public Schools, their grown daughter, and grandson.
Parkland resident and long-time friend Wendy Hunter created a GoFundMe page to assist her family and the financial burden they will be facing.
At this time, Williams still does not know whether the house’s damage can be mitigated or if the building will be a total loss.
“Miss LaTanya keeps everything running – she’s the heart and soul of Westglades,” said Hunter, who has been friends with Williams since her three grown sons attended the school.
Since 2002, Williams has run the after-school, summer camp, and organized fundraising events at Westglades.
“Miss LaTanya has done so much for our students and our community over the many, many years she has been at Westglades,” said State Representative-elect Christine Hunschofsky, who worked with Williams as mayor.
“She’s the most upbeat, positive, kind-hearted human being you will ever meet,” said Hunter, “And she’s been there to help all of us in our time of need.”
The GoFundMe page has raised over $5,000 in less than 24 hours, and Williams is beyond grateful for the outpouring of love and support from the community.
The abundance of positive comments on the page showcases the kind of person Miss LaTanya is.
“She has the kind of attitude that helps you get through tough times,” said Hunter. “This is about the community coming together for one of its own.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.07.30Meet Local School Resource Officers at ‘Parkland Night Out’ Event
- News2021.07.29Register For Inspiring Professional Women’s Alliance Luncheon Featuring State Rep. Hunschofsky
- News2021.07.28Parkland Little League Holds Free Pitch, Hit and Run Competition
- News2021.07.28Parkland Awarded $1.5 Million Grant For Future 36-Acre Park