By: Sharon Aron Baron
Governor Ron DeSantis announced the appointment of Ryan Petty to the State Board of Education on Tuesday.
Petty, is the senior vice president of business-to-business products for Cable & Wireless Communications. Previously, he was vice president of product development and innovation at ADT, Inc. In honor of his daughter, Alaina, who was killed in 2018 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, he has worked to improve school safety in Broward County and across the country.
In 2018, he was appointed to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission, which was formed to analyze information from the school shooting and other mass violence incidents in the state and address recommendations and system improvements.
Furthermore, he founded The WalkUp Foundation, a non-profit working to prevent the causes of violence in school through advocacy and intervention.
In 2018, Petty ran for Broward County School Board at-Large but was defeated by incumbent Donna Korn.
Petty, who lives in Parkland, earned his bachelor’s degree in accounting and information systems from Brigham Young University. He is appointed to a four-year term.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2020.02.16Students Can Apply Now to be Parkland’s Next ‘Mayor for a Month’
- Events2020.02.16Sign Up Now for the Girl Scouts Annual Thin Mint Sprint 5K
- Events2020.02.16Greater Broward Chapter of The Pap Corps Holds 4th Annual Yoga for Hope and Healing
- News2020.02.13Governor DeSantis Directs Flags at Half-Staff in Honor of Marjory Stoneman Douglas Victims