By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys lacrosse began their season with back-to-back wins over Coral Glades and South Plantation High School this week.
This was also the first win for 2006 Marjory Stoneman Douglas graduate, Phillip Locke, who played two years on the club team before it became a varsity sport in 2007. Locke is assisted by Austin Figas, the older brother of current player Shane Figas. who Locke says he has been tremendously helpful.
“We are off to a very strong start, but we are not going to let it get to our heads,” said Locke. “We plan to work hard and attack every game with the same power we did the first two. I look forward to the rest of the season and seeing what else these boys can deliver.”
The Eagles have now started their season 2-0 in three of the past four years. Darren Edenbaum, the team leading scorer for the past two years, shined with 15 goals and ten assists in the first two games and now has 90 in his career. Preston Gerena also had nine goals in the two games as MSD outscored their opponents 44-2.
The rest of the team consists of Jaiden Cable, Jerry Thomas, Ryan Spallina, Matthew Koesten, Preston Gerena, Henry Leon, Luke Lesny, Montgomery Kantner, Michael Nason, Jacob Pleffner, Michael Cacace, Ethan Pakhomav, Talan Smollett, Andrew Greenberg, Alec Gordon, Nate Klein, Joshua Johnson, Dhruv Mutha, Matthew Nason, Michael Fierstat, Josner Rodicio, Ethan Hand, Mateo Hermosillo, Julian Victoria, Zaid Popen and Noah Ozan.
The Eagles are coming off a season where they went 6-6 and are set to have 12 more games this season, with their next against Kings Academy on Thursday, Feb. 23, at 7 p.m. The Lions come into the game with a record of 1-1 and beat Westminster Christian High School 15-10 but fell 11-3 to Jupiter High School.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.182 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Athletes Place Third in BCAA Track and Field Championship
- News2023.03.18Marjory Stoneman Douglas Water Polo Closes Regular Season With Senior Night
- News2023.03.17MSD Graduate Jesus Luzardo Records Win for Team Venezuela in World Baseball Classic
- News2023.03.153 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Basketball Players Selected to BCAA All-Star Game