By Jill Fox
Students have the opportunity to become Parkland’s next Mayor for a month.
Open to any Parkland resident in grades 6-12 regardless of enrollment in a public, private, or charter school; the lucky winner will shadow Parkland Mayor Rich Walker at commission meetings and other presentations.
Walker said the program is a fantastic way for students to learn first-hand how the City Government operates. “Having the opportunity to spend time with our Commission and City staff to review agendas and attend the meetings is a perfect way to learn about our local government,” he said.
According to the City of Parkland, the program’s goal is to provide young people with confidence, support, and recognition, hopefully opening the door for additional opportunities to become involved in their community and develop into future leaders.
Those selected will be sworn in at a commission meeting and invited to participate with the mayor in events during that month.
To apply, students need to submit a form, along with a 250-word essay explaining why they would like to be involved in municipal government.
The application should include their community involvement, academic achievements, and a reference letter.
Mail or hand-deliver completed applications by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 11, 2022, to:
City of Parkland
Attention: Mayor for a Month
6600 University Drive
Parkland, FL 33067
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2022.05.17Find a “Fur”ever Friend At Parkland’s 1st Dog Expo
- News2022.05.09Make Our Schools Safe Raises $125,000 At Annual Benefit
- News2022.05.07Parents Invited To Vaping Prevention Town Hall On May 12
- News2022.05.064 Awarded Friendship Journey Scholarships In Memory of Jaime Guttenberg And Gina Montalto