By Jill Fox
The Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation announced the recipient of the 2020 Gina Rose Montalto Girl Scout Gold Award Scholarship — Rachel Vogel.
A 2020 graduate of West Broward High School, Vogel is attending Northeastern University in Boston. She was awarded a $1,500 scholarship through the Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida.
Vogel began her journey with the Girl Scouts at the age of five, earning a bronze award early on. She received her gold award in 2020 after creating a zen garden at Children’s Harbor in Pembroke Pines.
After falling in love with meditation herself, Vogel came up with “The Happiness Project” and documented her efforts in a video.
She said her goal was to create a space where the foster children could meditate and have an escape from their daily lives.
All Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation scholarship recipients are pursuing degrees in areas of interest that Gina excelled in, and all exemplify her passion for learning, caring, and helping others. As a Cadette Girl Scout, Gina earned the Girl Scout Silver Award with her troop and was enormously proud of it.
Jennifer Montalto, Gina’s mother, said the applicants were all truly amazing and did not make it easy on them.
“Rachel stood out to us among the best!” Montalto said.
Vogel plans to double major in business and psychology and plans to incorporate her ambition of spreading mindfulness.
The Foundation will announce the winners of this year’s Arts and Stem scholarships in September and the 17 for 17 Nursing Scholarship in October.
For those interested in contributing to the scholarship foundation, Donate here.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.253 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Students Create Masks with a Meaning
- News2020.09.25BSO Units Arrest 4 Suspects after Parkland Car Burglary
- News2020.09.25Parkland Farmers’ Market Returns November 1 with ‘Drive Thru’ Format
- Politics2020.09.24Parkland Commission Votes to Lower Millage Rate For 2021